Thursday, September 3, 2009

Easy Shrimp Dish

Ingredients:

brown rice
2-3 strips turkey bacon (I did 4 because I love the taste of turkey bacon)
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1 can chopped tomatoes, with juice
1 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails removed
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. hot sauce (if you don't like spicy food, leave this out or maybe cut it in half)

I start my rice before I begin cooking because brown rice takes longer than white. I made about 2 cups cooked rice for Steven and I so we'd have leftovers.

Cook bacon until crispy, remove from pan and place on paper towel. Crumble when cool (I found an easy way to crumble bacon. Just take the paper towel the bacon's on, wrap the paper towel around it and make a ball of the paper towel. You crumble the bacon without getting your hands greasy!)

With bacon "grease" (there's not a whole lot) still in pan, add onions, bell pepper and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes or until veggies are soft. Add garlic, cook for an additional minute. Add canned tomatoes, with juice, worchestershire sauce, hot sauce and bay leaf. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered.

Add crumbled bacon and shrimp to mixture and continue cooking on low-medium low for 10 minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving. Serve hot over brown rice.

No comments: